Thinking about picking up a reloadable prepaid card? There are more choices in prepaid types on the market now than ever before, and plenty of variations that can make them a brilliant or dreadful choice. There are some things you need to know about general purpose prepaid cards.
Prepaid cards are more like debit than credit. Prepaid cards look like credit cards and spend like credit cards but there is no “credit” behind them. They are technically debit cards– when you use them, you’re spending your own money, not the bank’s.
Unlike old-fashioned debit cards, though, you don’t need a bank account to utilize a prepaid card. You just load dollars directly onto the card and then use that balance for purchases. When the balance on the card dips too low, you reload more money.
Here are some of our favorite cards from top providers with the best features.
NETSPEND® VISA® PREPAID CARD
- With Netspend Direct Deposit, you can get paid faster than a paper check
- No late fees or interest charges because this is not a credit card.
- Use the NetSpend Mobile App to manage your Card Account on the go enroll to get messages or
email alerts (Message & data rates may apply).
- Card issued by MetaBank®, Member FDIC. Card may be used everywhere Visa Debit cards are
- See additional NetSpend ® Prepaid Visa ® details
Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard®
Get Peace of Mind for your Money with Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard®
- Direct Deposit
- Payback Rewards℠
- Mobile App
- Mobile Check Load
- Anytime Alerts
- Custom Card
PAYPAL PREPAID MASTERCARD®
merchants. With Direct Deposit, you can get paid faster than a paper check.