Thinking about picking up a reloadable prepaid card? There are more choices in prepaid types on the market now than ever before, and plenty of variations that can make them a brilliant or dreadful choice. There are some things you need to know about general purpose prepaid cards.
Prepaid cards are more like debit than credit. Prepaid cards look like credit cards and spend like credit cards but there is no “credit” behind them. They are technically debit cards– when you use them, you’re spending your own money, not the bank’s.
Unlike old-fashioned debit cards, though, you don’t need a bank account to utilize a prepaid card. You just load dollars directly onto the card and then use that balance for purchases. When the balance on the card dips too low, you reload more money.
Here are some of our favorite cards from top providers with the best features.
Editors Choice – Best in Flexibility: Rushcard Prepaid
Rushcard works like any Visa debit card. Make purchases in stores and shop safely online. Then stay on top of your bills with Online Bill Pay.
- Easy to sign up. Set up your secure PIN and load money to your card with cash or checks or enroll in Direct Deposit.
- Enroll in Direct Deposit and get your pay up to two days early. Certain restrictions apply*
- Easy Online Bill Pay — pay your rent, utilities or a friend*.
- Shop online and in stores – everywhere Visa® debit cards are accepted.
- Your funds are FDIC-Insured through MetaBank®, Member FDIC. Card accounts are subject to ID Verification.*
* Certain restrictions apply. See card site for details. Click on “Apply Now” to learn more about Midnight Prepaid Visa® RushCard.